Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I installed the exotic customs suspension today. It took a few hours, but most of that was figuring out how and where to install it. Once I settled on a location, the rest was a breeze. I made a video to help others with the install if they choose to go with this. I cant review too much as my bike is on a lift and in the middle of my build (only the rear tire, engine and frame remain intact.) once my wheel gets here in about 6 weeks I'll be able to post a better review. I wanted to post the video so people can see it and decide for themselves. I have pics too, but they won't be done until tomorrow.

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
Subscribing, want to see how your build turns out, and how the suspension does.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update to install, Video Link posted

Here is the video that I made during the install of Xotic Customs 5" suspension. The bike is still on the lift and completely stripped down, so there isn't much weight to help the bike compress when the valve is dumped, but you can at least get an idea with this video. I am still working on getting the pictures uploaded and post a little on the build process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImSDwXvQ24Q&context=C3d2409bADOEgsToPDskKvhyOEjg4mpaEv3cvr_fw5

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Cool video man. Only problem Im having, is trying to figure out where to mount the damn compressor. I have ABS so under the side panels is a no go. Under my fairing is already pretty cramped as well. Only other thing I can come up with, is hacking up my extended side panels on the inside, and seeing if I can make that work. Problem is, I hate to drop the cash only to find out I can't find a place to mount the compressor.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Good video. Can you give an approximate space needed by compressor? I already have Arnott air ride but am open to changing out the shocks for more travel.
Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off the top of my head I'd say 7" long X 3 1/2" wide X 6" tall. I'll be at the garage tomorrow so I can get accurate measurements then

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pick up my parts from the painter Saturday. By Saturday evening I plan on having the inner fairing reassembled and all the wiring complete. Monday I'll put the innards back in the tank and finish up the outer fairing. It's going to be another 2-3 weeks on the wheel from SMT machining. It should have been here this week but apparently they were delayed … I'll be posting pics as I do the work this weekend under my bikes build in the build portion of the forum

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the only pic that i have right now it's already under my build section http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=13507&page=3 . I will be taking quite a few with my actual camera this weekend as i am reassembling the bike. Give me a few days and on Monday or so I will post the pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I have used this air ride on my roadking have put about 1000 miles on it... I have no problems with it works really good. I put the compressor under my battery box... Fit perfect and completly out of the way... the ride is good when aired up.... Here in Texas we got some crappy roads in town have to air it up pretty good to get a comfy ride.... but out on the highway does really good with just a little... for the money I say this is the best buy!!! I think I called him and he gave me a good deal $499 ..... Good luck hope this helps

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!

I just wanted to post on here and give everyone an update on the suspension. I just completed a 4700 mile road trip over the last 2 weeks. The xptic customs suspension worked like a charm. I haven't sensed any leakage over time. I set the ride height where I want and it stays there. I love the ability to adjust the suspension anywhere in between slammed and raised 5". Obviously slamming this down and riding is like riding a hardtail but it looks great. I've had numerous comments on the bike in general but everyone seems to really like the suspension. I'll be taking a video today of the suspension raised, dumping it to the bottom and lifting it again. I want everyone to be able to see what the bike looks like with the fenders and bags stretched 4" and the suspension raised and dumped

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very good video. Ive gathered all the parts to install mine this weekend. Im sure it was easy to order a complete kit but at $499? wow. I have the same EXACT setup and less than $175 in parts. The air shocks are from an early corvette and can be had on amazon for a tad over $60. Compressor is less than $60 the solenoid is around $35 and i got it from my local Grainger store. I ordered a new set of bushing for $12. Add in misc fittings and a switch and boom. Air ride!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have also purchased the exotix kit and I love the ajustability of the shocks but I dont care for the ride. I set the shocks at stock height and it rides rough. If anyone knows of some softer air shocks let me know. I think I am going to try and get a softer ride with still keeping the adjustability.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the same system that I pieced together on my own. At stock height I experienced the same rough ride from the shocks bottoming out. I found with higher pressure the ride was much better because it allowed for more preload of the shocks. Due to that I run mine much higher currently. The ride is very comfortable. I plan to install a set of 12" limiting straps that way I get the preload needed at 12" instead of 14" the shock alone has. Ill update once I get a chance to test that idea out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts