Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at reducing some of the fatigue in my upper back and shoulders, so I figure these should do the trick. Problem is, I don't know anyone locally who has them to see if 10" or 12" is what I need. I'm 6', 34" inseam, and i don;t want my arms all the way up in the air. I assume 10" would be fine.

On the 10" do I "need" the Supersize kit, or will my stock cables/wires be long enough?? I hate to spend the $ if I don't really need it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Stock cables will work on 10 or 12, the 12's you will have to reroute the clutch cable, I am getting ready to put on Wild One's 12 inch Outlaws, I have close to a 10 inch bar still get the pinch between shoulders, I got SS braided lines to put on been wanting them so now would be a good time to do it and all the wires are long enough to

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the 12s may need a new brake line minimum. I have the 12 inch Outlaws and the 10 inch Monkeys are similar in size. I could not go any taller without replacing the brake line. So that is my logic with the Monkey Bars 12s.

Maybe someone has made the 12s work?

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I'm sitting up straight on my stock seat with the bars slightly forward of the fork angle. I'd say around 4-5" or so.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will the 10" also bring the bars back a little closer to me than the stock bars? The extra 2" or so reach on the stockers are what's giving me the upper back pain, if they come a little closer... awesome.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Will the 10" also bring the bars back a little closer to me than the stock bars? The extra 2" or so reach on the stockers are what's giving me the upper back pain, if they come a little closer... awesome.
Good thing about the apes is you can pull then back as much as you want or push them forward as much as you want.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Guess I'll be ordering up a set of bars tomorrow. Wish I had the proficiency to install them myself, but it'll just have to wait till I get her down to the dealership...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have 10" OEM's on my bike and my hands are just below my shoulders. I put mine on in July '11, and within a couple days, did a 1500 mile round trip. I took a gamble, but it paid off. No back or shoulder aches or pains, whatsoever.

The newer bikes have longer wiring harnesses that the older models, but even then, I didn't have to extend the harnesses to put them on my '04 (but I promise you there wasn't ANY extra wire left.) I did reroute my stock clutch cable to outside the nacelle, but the throttle cables had plenty of length. Also, I was able to use the stock brake line, though it isn't the prettiest of routing. On your '12, you should be fine with stock harnesses, cables and brake line.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am 6' with a 34' inseam I put the 10' on my bike hands are just at shoulder height. All you need is the bars for the 10s. I love mine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bitchin', now I feel good about the purchase.

Just nailed a set from a dealer on eBay, brand new... $359 and free shipping! Seems the average was $375 and shipping as high as $20 most places I checked.

I am very excited to get these on the bike. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
And I thought there was a 12 week wait for 12" Yaffe monkey bars.... Unless your going to do the bar change yourself.....save another $800 for labor IF you can find someone to do the bar swap!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I disagree. I have the 12" and replaced both the brake and the clutch. I ran for a few days with the stock it will fit but when you turned all the way to the right or left it was seriously stretched. I would plan on it, replace the brake and clutch you will feel much happier when it's done. If you have ABS you need to have the dealer, I am going to say, bleed the ABS. I was charged 1/2 for this.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Most guys I've talked with have said they all wish they had gone bigger. I went with 13 and ran the stock sleeve and did not change any cables or wires on my 2010 I a happy with 13 but then again i'm glad I didn't go with 10'' i am 6'4" with 34" inseams. FYI if you go to Sturgis they will ticket you if your hands are above your shoulders.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I thought there was a 12 week wait for 12" Yaffe monkey bars.... Unless your going to do the bar change yourself.....save another $800 for labor IF you can find someone to do the bar swap!
I found a few retailers that had them in stock (Like Ghost Rider Custom), but I bought mine from a dealer on eBay (Eastern Performance Cycles http://myworld.ebay.com/easternpc/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754) and they had the best price by FAR.

I am not mechanically inclined enough to even dream of attempting a bar swap, so it'll be going to my HD dealer next week when it goes in for other work. $800 sounds a bit steep. For a tech that has probably torn down a thousand RGs, he should be able to do it faster than 8 hours IMO.

I will compare labor charges to Eddie Trotta's place which is also pretty close to me. See which can do it quicker, and for less money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts