Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took about 3 hrs this past weekend and installed my speakers that y’all recommended so highly. To be honest I am happy with them and they are very very good but I do wonder how they might have compared to what I wanted originally.

The setup - GZ Yellow Basket Coax, Soundigital 800.4 Exo.X, XAV-7000 and 8ga power wires nicely loomed and terminated.

When I tested them in the garage the tweets were a bit bright so the EQ on the highs has been turned well below flat. I did set the gains on the amp and I used Y-Splitter RCA so that Left is CH1/2 and Right is CH3/4.

Since you can’t tell how they actually sound sitting still and we had a bit of a heatwave here in Chicago on Tuesday, almost 50*, I went for a SHORT blast around a large block. OMFG. So nice and I didn’t have to turn the volume all the way up to hear them. When I tuned the amp I Put it up to 3/4 (38 of 50) but when I rode I never had to turn it up past 17 or 18.

Without further ado..... (in the next post because the app won’t let me post pics)

·
Super Moderator
9,835 Posts
So I took about 3 hrs this past weekend and installed my speakers that y’all recommended so highly. To be honest I am happy with them and they are very very good but I do wonder how they might have compared to what I wanted originally.

The setup - GZ Yellow Basket Coax, Soundigital 800.4 Exo.X, XAV-7000 and 8ga power wires nicely loomed and terminated.

When I tested them in the garage the tweets were a bit bright so the EQ on the highs has been turned well below flat. I did set the gains on the amp and I used Y-Splitter RCA so that Left is CH1/2 and Right is CH3/4.

Since you can’t tell how they actually sound sitting still and we had a bit of a heatwave here in Chicago on Tuesday, almost 50*, I went for a SHORT blast around a large block. OMFG. So nice and I didn’t have to turn the volume all the way up to hear them. When I tuned the amp I Put it up to 3/4 (38 of 50) but when I rode I never had to turn it up past 17 or 18.

Without further ado..... (in the next post because the app won’t let me post pics)
Congrats Tupp!
Glad You are happy with the results.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also may take it back apart and use some silicone to ensure the speaker pods are air tight. I have a specific dynomat sealing the holes closed and before I put the nose back on I could feel some air coming out at the seams but NOT the hole I cut and covered

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nice job man! Regarding air tightness. When I split my pods, I siliconed the entire bead around where it was split as well as the hole where the speaker wires entered. I will tell you that silicone doesn’t like sticking to the material the pod is made from and you’ll likely fill it, only to find that it comes loose the first time you bump it. I used dynamat with better luck and I also have a 1lb pug/brick of duct seal clay that works well. Good luck with sealing it up, it’s never going to be a perfect environment so try not to obsess over it too much.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Congrats on a job well done!
But you made me fall out of the recliner looking at your pics...... :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I was thinking getting an 1/8” butyl tape then follow the seams with aluminum tape. Think that will do a good job?

like this product
When I had mine apart I siliconed them back together.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
619 Posts
Nice. I’m getting stuff ordered to do the install after a trip.
Did the GZ’s require any adapter/spacer or funky item to install or just slap em in. Understanding I need to make some room for that magnet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice. I’m getting stuff ordered to do the install after a trip.
Did the GZ’s require any adapter/spacer or funky item to install or just slap em in. Understanding I need to make some room for that magnet.
No you have to cut the pods like above to make them fit. As well as the little nub where it screws in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts