Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My bro-in-law and I are planning our annual trip for this year. We're considering Yellowstone. It'd likely be in mid-late August.

We do a combo of hotels / tent / cabin camping. I've never been to Yellowstone and I'd love to see it. My only real concern is crowding. What do y'all have to say? Will we be fighting the crowds around that time?

-Jay

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Hey all,

My bro-in-law and I are planning our annual trip for this year. We're considering Yellowstone. It'd likely be in mid-late August.

We do a combo of hotels / tent / cabin camping. I've never been to Yellowstone and I'd love to see it. My only real concern is crowding. What do y'all have to say? Will we be fighting the crowds around that time?

-Jay
yes. I go about every year as I live close and it is crowded in August and july and cold and in June lol. Sept is a good time to go.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hey all,

-Jay
I went there last year about the 3rd week in August and yes it was a little crowded, but the weather was perfect and more than made up for it. I camped for 2 days just outside of West Yellowstone......was about a 15-20 minute ride from the tent to the entrance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes it will most likely be crowded in Mid August. The closer you get to September maybe not so much. I go every year, was there last year mid August after leaving Sturgis. As has been said be sure and do the Beartooth from Red Lodge into Cooke City. For me the riding and scenery far outweigh the crowds.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You'll Love It

Yepper, it'll be crowded in the park but it's worth it. I've never camped inside the park but in several trips there I've stayed in hotels around there and also at campgrounds.

Buffalo Bill State Park is just west of Cody and is not far from Yellowstone. The park is nothing fancy but there is nothing but sheer beauty in any direction and it sits on a lake. Provisions are easy to get in nearby Cody, too. It's inexpensive and is guarded by Park personnel at the gate and I've never seen it crowded there.

There's a KOA in Cody also. Crowded, though.

Hotels in Cody will not be cheap, even cabins out back of the Best Western will run you a C-note a night.

You'll HAVE to ride the Beartooth (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana). It runs 62 miles (about a 2 1/2 hour ride) from the NE entrance to Yellowstone east to Red Lodge. There's a KOA in Red Lodge, too.

Chief Joesph HWY from Cody to NE Entrance is a great ride as well.

Then there's Grand Tetons NP bordering the south of Yellowstone, near Jackson.

Cody or Buffalo Bill SP is a good launching point for day trips in any direction. Or relocate from one site to another.

You'll love it up there.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I was there in July and will likely never go back. It's scenic, but the number of clueless tourists dragging rental campers (likely for the first time) stopping everywhere on the single lane road to jump out and take photos of every squirrel and deer they see was more than I could stand to repeat. There's lots of great riding around the park, but I personally didn't find it worth my time or the $20 entry fee.

I detailed it in my Alaskapade blog. Scroll down to "Eastbound & Down"

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's where we'll end up going, but I'd love to. We're limited a bit in that we only have a week, and that area's about 1000 miles one way.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

-Jay

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Montana/Idaho/Wyoming has much better riding then the park so if you do make it this way let me know and I will give you some good routes.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I went last year in mid June, no crowds at all, it was awesome. If you do go, I would highly recommend riding through Grand Tetons national park. It's only about 50 miles south of Yellowstone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Check out my post on 6/22/2011 on Beartooth Highway. I don't know how to link it. Let me know when you plan to visit and from what direction you are traveling. I can help you out because Yellowstone is in my backyard.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was there last year in July! It was pretty busy, but the weather was perfect and the scenery is well worth the crowds. Just watch for cagers that will slam on the brakes at the first sign of a squirrel, and others who are looking at everything except the road! And, definitely do Beartooth Pass! Unbelievable! Have fun!
EZ

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
We rode through last Aug the week after Sturgis heading West to WA.. Surprisingly the crowds weren't to bad. As someone else said, Bearthooth HWY is a must. Great Ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts