Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several other plans fell apart (including making it to shark week in Banff). So I'm pulling a solo plan for a trip to Yellowstone and Teton parks.

First truly solo trip that I've taken in over 10 years, so really looking forward to it.

It's been years since I've been through there and then it was on 4 wheels. Looking for some advice on places to stay, see, eat, etc along the way.

Right now I have reservations in Red Lodge for one night before crossing Beartooth. Else pretty open.

Suggestions? Things to avoid?

·
Registered
483 Posts
As per normal here in Montana, Beartooth Pass is CLOSED due to snow. In JULY! It happens all the time. When are you going through?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
As per normal here in Montana, Beartooth Pass is CLOSED due to snow. In JULY! It happens all the time. When are you going through?

I hear Beartooth it is a must ride. Praying it reopens within 2 weeks. I planned on going through there on my way to Sharkweek.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Getting ready to head up there end of next week myself. Will be in Yellowstone 25/26/27.

Not trying to dispute local knowledge, since it's surely more updated than whatever is on the web, but here are some useful links to information:

Montana Alerts, Closures and Incident report: Closures & Incidents

Detailed road information: Detailed Report

Mobile app to check it out: Mobile MDT Traveler Information

Travel safe!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Hey speedie,
Used to live in Rogers/St.Michael for 10 years. Rode both SD and ND. Probably prefer South Dakota superslab or 14 if your not in a real hurry. South Dakota is nice because it drops you off closer to Sheridan, Wyoming where you can jump on 14a a great ride to Cody, where you must do Chief Joseph Highway 296 into 212 and onto Red lodge. Many good places in Red lodge to stay and eat. Yellowstone is busy but a must see. To the south Jackson is a great place to be and not as crowded as the yellowstone area.
If your in a hurry you might be able to iron butt it to Red Lodge through North Dakota but dont miss 14a and Chief Joseph 296 in Wyoming and 212 Beartooth in Montana. Have a great Trip.

·
Registered
406 Posts
In Red Lodge I always stay at the Alpine.
It's one of the nicest mom and pops i have ever stayed at.
After the Tetons...Jackson Hole is a must visit though expensive to stay there.
Some great little restaurants in Cook City if your looking for lunch

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Beartooth is open again. Right now staying at the Pollard in Red Lodge, the Soda Bluff in Cooke City and staying in one of the rustic cabins at Headwaters Flagg Ranch campground in Teton park.

So will pick up Little Big Horn on the way in. Riding Joseph Hwy on the way to Red Lodge. Then have all day to take my time over Beartooth. Then next three days exploring Yellowstone and the Tetons. Cody on the way back east and then a week at Sturgis.

Thanks for all of the tips! Great to hear.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks everyone! Beartooth is open again. Right now staying at the Pollard in Red Lodge, the Soda Bluff in Cooke City and staying in one of the rustic cabins at Headwaters Flagg Ranch campground in Teton park.

So will pick up Little Big Horn on the way in. Riding Joseph Hwy on the way to Red Lodge. Then have all day to take my time over Beartooth. Then next three days exploring Yellowstone and the Tetons. Cody on the way back east and then a week at Sturgis.

Thanks for all of the tips! Great to hear.
Sounds like you have a good plan. Bruckus gave you some good advice as did the rest of the crew. Hopefully the snow will melt. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just did that area a couple of weeks ago. Agree with all here & Needles Highway is great if you get over that was. All of it is awesome riding.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I appreciate the info from you guys. I just planned out a 9 day trip from Twin Cities, MN through ND, MT, WY, CO then a few days in Sturgis at the beginning of the rally before heading back home. Taking off on July 30. First 24 hours is to get 1000 miles to earn IBA patch (Saddle Sore 1000).

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
It probably goes without saying, but make sure you have appropriate clothing for those areas, especially Yellowstone. The weather changes rapidly in the park. The one time we were there, it went from sunny and hot, to fall like weather, to hail, to rain, and back to hot again. All within a coupla hours.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Mn_Rider,

I think I have ridden all of those roads and your in for a great trip. You'll probably have to make it to Bozeman if your iron butting it in one day. A doable day with a early start, time change and hydration otherwise stop sleep and finish within 24 hours. If your sick of the Montana super slab Jump off at Forsyth on 12 and run it to White sulpher springs and then back down to 90. Stop in Ingomar at the Jersey Lilly for some world famous beans and a real step back in time. Other than that go on the west side of Flaming Gorge (530) to (44). Make sure to ride the Sheep Creek Geologic Loop off 44 a few miles south of Manila. The whole area is fantastic. Looks like your well planned but make sure to get off the slab. Maybe Rocky Mountain National Park if you have time.
Good luck and travel safe. Bruckus

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the info from you guys. I just planned out a 9 day trip from Twin Cities, MN through ND, MT, WY, CO then a few days in Sturgis at the beginning of the rally before heading back home. Taking off on July 30. First 24 hours is to get 1000 miles to earn IBA patch (Saddle Sore 1000).
Maybe we'll see you along the way. I'm heading out on the 27th and hoping to get into Sturgis by the 4th or 5th for a few days. Before then looks very similar to your route

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just rode chief joseph and beartooth Sunday....crystal clear and ready to ride. Just one road construction of about 1 mile on chief Joseph.
Thanks Bellbear. We leave on Saturday and plan to do Chief Joseph and Beartooth on Monday.

Mn_Rider,

I think I have ridden all of those roads and your in for a great trip. You'll probably have to make it to Bozeman if your iron butting it in one day. A doable day with a early start, time change and hydration otherwise stop sleep and finish within 24 hours. If your sick of the Montana super slab Jump off at Forsyth on 12 and run it to White sulpher springs and then back down to 90. Stop in Ingomar at the Jersey Lilly for some world famous beans and a real step back in time. Other than that go on the west side of Flaming Gorge (530) to (44). Make sure to ride the Sheep Creek Geologic Loop off 44 a few miles south of Manila. The whole area is fantastic. Looks like your well planned but make sure to get off the slab. Maybe Rocky Mountain National Park if you have time.
Good luck and travel safe. Bruckus
Thanks Bruckus. Our extended time on the slab is intended to cover as many miles as possible. Oak Grove, MN to Big Sky puts us at 1021 miles. We will see how we are doing on time and check out Sheep Creek. I appreciate the recommendation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It probably goes without saying, but make sure you have appropriate clothing for those areas, especially Yellowstone. The weather changes rapidly in the park. The one time we were there, it went from sunny and hot, to fall like weather, to hail, to rain, and back to hot again. All within a coupla hours.

Lil Chief

We just got home from this excellent trip. 3500 mile over 9 days. We pushed through the ride from MN to Big Sky just to get the 1000 miles done. Did it in 23 hours including a 4 hour nap. Big Sky through Yellowstone west entrance then on to Beartooth pass to Red Lodge was fantastic. One of my buddies had never been to the mountains before and he was in awe.
We made it down to Jackson then south on 191 to Vernal, UT along the Flaming Gorge. Another great ride. Vernal to Boulder, CO along 40. We went north in Granby through Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes. 12,100 feet ride was great... But cloudy , cold and raining. Appropriate clothing was critical up there as it was only 41 degrees. We finished the ride to Sturgis and spent the weekend there. Thanks again for the input.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts