Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
leaving sunday on a trip to yellowstone with a couple days in rapid city.as of now my biggest issue is do i take beartooth pass or chief joseph hwy. into park from cody wy.,i'm leaning toward beartooth. be great if i could do both but i don't think i'll have time and i promised the wife i wouldn't ride too hard. other than a new front tire on thursday i think we're ready to go. i'm pumped,work this week is almost a waste of time!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check out the Candle Light Inn, they have a great food and atmosphere, When I was there a couple years ago there were tons of bikes in the lot and plenty of people to chat with, it is South of Rapid but worth the small ride out there, oh and the exit is on the left not the right.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
go to Redlodge and take the Beartooth.It's one of the premier roads in the nation.As long as you're not in a hurry anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go to Redlodge and take the Beartooth.It's one of the premier roads in the nation.As long as you're not in a hurry anyway.
thats the way i'm leaning, really like to do a big loop but my wife might notice.been trying to watch the weather and so far looks like beartooth!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Beartooth

I did both Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass last year on my softail. Camp was in Cody and I made a big loop out of it in about 6 hours. The ride was amazing, do both if you can and take some warmer gear with you. Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
One good place to eat there is Famous Daves(by a big mall), we avoided the mex & asian places and wouldn't think the seafood fresh:eek:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The Northeast entrance to the park is my favorite so whenever I go over Beartooth I try to either enter or leave that way. Cook City has fuel and a few restaurants if you need either. Make sure you take a good jacket if you go over Beertooth you might get this
Or you might get this
This was the second week of September a few years ago.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5 more hours of work, a little more prep and we're good to go.Decided on beartooth pass unless the weather sucks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, made it to Mtchell SD. Great day for riding. Had supper at the depot,cold beer,good food, and good service.

·
Registered
569 Posts
leaving sunday on a trip to yellowstone with a couple days in rapid city.as of now my biggest issue is do i take beartooth pass or chief joseph hwy. into park from cody wy.,i'm leaning toward beartooth. be great if i could do both but i don't think i'll have time and i promised the wife i wouldn't ride too hard. other than a new front tire on thursday i think we're ready to go. i'm pumped,work this week is almost a waste of time!!
If you're going to rapid city, then to red lodge, you could take 212 out of Belle Fourche SD. into Billings MT. I ran it in 06 and was able to run triple digits across 212. We saw no cross roads, oncoming traffic, or any type of civilization for 60 miles on 212. We went thru red lodge in the morning over beartooth pass and took a left into rte 296, the chief joseph highway into Cody for the night. Entered into the lower loop of Yellowstone for the next day. so if you take a left onto 296, that's the st joseph highway. While in Cody go to the Wild Bill Cody Museum, (firearms museum). Have breakfast at the Erma-(Named after wild Bills Daughter, was said the his daughter still haunts the hotel). We rode this ride in 2006 on the HOG ride called the Iron Pony Ride. We didn't go to Thermopolis which was also part of the ride, because we were shot, and now regret it. We rode back 14A over the big horns in 40 degree rain snow mix, get 90 on way back and stop to see devils tower. Route 44 is a good alternate to 90 if youre going back through SD.We rode 4499.9 miles in 13 days. You are in for a wonderful ride. Enjoy and ride safe. Pan

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just got back after a week. We stayed in Cody & ran Beartooth pass, then went into Yellowstone. We stayed in a town right after beartooth but before you go in Yellowstone. Can't remember the name though, Super8. Also went into Montana. 3200 miles. In Cody met royglide11 at the motel we were staying. It was great talking roadgldes with him. I enjoyed our visit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts