Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been stumbling through these forums for a while reading up on can choices. There are lots on the 555, 48h, 57h and so on for stock 103s. When I see someone talking about the woods tw-777 they are talking about putting them in built motors. Looking at Fuelmotos website they have Dyno charts for for the 777 in a stage 1 but otherwise stock 103's. They are getting 97-101hp to 109-114tq with no more than exhaust, AC and tuner. The 555 looks like it averages less hp and about the same torque. Other than the torque probably comes on later with the 777 than it does on the 555, why does it seem like no one uses the 777 except in built motors? Please be easy on me. Ive never replaced a Cam and am fairly new to the idea. Haha. Just curious

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've been stumbling through these forums for a while reading up on can choices. There are lots on the 555, 48h, 57h and so on for stock 103s. When I see someone talking about the woods tw-777 they are talking about putting them in built motors. Looking at Fuelmotos website they have Dyno charts for for the 777 in a stage 1 but otherwise stock 103's. They are getting 97-101hp to 109-114tq with no more than exhaust, AC and tuner. The 555 looks like it averages less hp and about the same torque. Other than the torque probably comes on later with the 777 than it does on the 555, why does it seem like no one uses the 777 except in built motors? Please be easy on me. Ive never replaced a Cam and am fairly new to the idea. Haha. Just curious
For starters, FuelMoto is in bed with Woods. Take that for what it’s worth. The Woods 777 is soft off the bottom in a stock 103. Add compression and it will sing. When in doubt, go for torque in the 2000-5000 range where you ride the vast majority of the time. In a stock 103 the 555 is acceptable, the 222 is ideal. The cam needs to match the motor and the compression.

Personally I like the Andrews cams. They are quiet and dirt cheap compared to the other offerings. Stock 103, Andrews 48’s. Bump the compression with a thinner head gasket, the 57’s are the best choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Fueling 525 cams in my bike along with 10.5 pistons and mild head work. The cam comes on early and pulls like a train to 5000 rpm. Needless to say I love it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Checkout cyclerama 570-2 cams for a stock 103.if you are going to leave it stock besides cam this is perfect for touring bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have installed myself, an Andrews 57H in a 103. I have a set of V&H power duals, and Scream'n Eagle air intake. I love the results. Way more torque and power over the stock cam. I'm using the V&H Fuelpak which supports the new cam.
Don't forget you need to purchase a cam puller/installer and new adjustable push rods and push rod tubes.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Another Andrews fan here. I have a set of Tman 600sm cams and cant bring myself to put them it because the 57's run so well. Ive raced all kinds of bikes with all kinds of cams and cubes. Im either in front or on their back tire. Its a freaking Harley and its only gonna go so fast...

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
97 Posts
Eddie, I have the same setup except for the .030 gasket. Should I go to the trouble of swapping out the gasket?
The 57h hits pretty hard at about 2500 always wondered if the thin gasket would help.

TIA

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another Andrews fan here. I have a set of Tman 600sm cams and cant bring myself to put them it because the 57's run so well. Ive raced all kinds of bikes with all kinds of cams and cubes. Im either in front or on their back tire. Its a freaking Harley and its only gonna go so fast...
Do you recommend the .030 gasket? I would change mine out if it was worth the trouble. I have the 57h cams too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
SE 259E , air cleaner, V&H 2 in 1 and HD tuned no motor work and HP over 100 and torque over 105. There guys who have gotten more HP and torque but I believe that is with the motor work , high compression pistons , valve springs ect...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Do you recommend the .030 gasket? I would change mine out if it was worth the trouble. I have the 57h cams too.
I like the compression gain with the .030 head gasket. Compression equals hp and tq. With the gasket change you bumping up your compression to 10.0:1 maybe 10.1:1 vs stock at 9.6:1. I dont know if I would do it if you've already dyno'd it. The key to most of these cams is getting your compression to match the cam. Im glad I did it because the bike runs so good. Every time I think about changing the cam or putting in a 107 or 110 kit in, Ill go riding with some buddies that have done these crazy builds and getting crazy numbers on paper but aren't really that much faster then me. Im telling you with my 57H and .030 head gasket Im either in front of you or Im on your back tire. I've also been reading a little bit about piston depth in the cylinder and how that affects the compression.

Did you dyno your bike? What was the numbers? It might not be worth the trouble unless your just bored. If your are then I would go with the .030 and make sure the compression was at least 10.1:1 or a little higher. 10.2:1 I believe is the sweet spot but they say that cam doesn't like any more then that.

If I was you I wouldn't listen to me. Talk to some of these builders and go with what they say. Andrews would be my first call. If your already running the cam then just enjoy it and have fun. The difference is going to be so minor your probably not going to really notice it but then you might. I honestly dont know Ive been drinking all day

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the compression gain with the .030 head gasket. Compression equals hp and tq. With the gasket change you bumping up your compression to 10.0:1 maybe 10.1:1 vs stock at 9.6:1. I dont know if I would do it if you've already dyno'd it. The key to most of these cams is getting your compression to match the cam. Im glad I did it because the bike runs so good. Every time I think about changing the cam or putting in a 107 or 110 kit in, Ill go riding with some buddies that have done these crazy builds and getting crazy numbers on paper but aren't really that much faster then me. Im telling you with my 57H and .030 head gasket Im either in front of you or Im on your back tire. I've also been reading a little bit about piston depth in the cylinder and how that affects the compression.

Did you dyno your bike? What was the numbers? It might not be worth the trouble unless your just bored. If your are then I would go with the .030 and make sure the compression was at least 10.1:1 or a little higher. 10.2:1 I believe is the sweet spot but they say that cam doesn't like any more then that.

If I was you I wouldn't listen to me. Talk to some of these builders and go with what they say. Andrews would be my first call. If your already running the cam then just enjoy it and have fun. The difference is going to be so minor your probably not going to really notice it but then you might. I honestly dont know Ive been drinking all day
I have a 2015 w/the 57h cams, vh propipe and the FP3 tuner. It runs pretty damn good, matter of fact I romped on it and was told the front wheel came off the ground an inch, or so guess that means it has a bit of torque, fact or fiction it has a good kick and like you say I can hold my own against any bike in its class— but I know it needs a dyno tune. My logic is, if I have to buy a tuner, pay a dyno tuner I will be into it another $1000 buck, or close to it. So now is the time if I want to do anything more before I bite the bullet and pay for the tune. So that brings me to the .030 gasket. Other than my own labor, pretty cheap if it will actually help. I’ll take your advice and call the tuner too.

I wish I had been drinking all day, but I drank my lifetime allotment. I miss scotch. What I need is alcohol free scotch spiked with THC lol!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Damn, those numbers are good. I kinda wish I had gone that route, the 57h cams were dirt cheap off Amazon, so here I am. Froogle man pays twice. :)
Im 99hp and 111 tq. That dyno is pretty damn impressive. My graph wasn't as flat as his CR cam. The only complaint I might have is how much room will I be able to grow if I decide to do a 107 or 110 build.

Lol on the drinking and THC. I actually have been behaving quite a bit but decided since I worked New Years Eve and was in bed by 10 I decided to have a few New Years day. If I was you I think I would just leave it alone. Sounds like your bike is running great so is it really going to be worth it for 4 or 5 maybe 6 hp and tq? Are you really going to notice it? I say ride it and if you really have to have more then go big or go home. If I do it Im going 10.5:1 in a 110 build and a hotter cam. Im wanting something in the low 120's hp tq. Dependability is the key. IF IT AINT DEPENDABLE THEN IT AINT SHIT!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im 99hp and 111 tq. That dyno is pretty damn impressive. My graph wasn't as flat as his CR cam. The only complaint I might have is how much room will I be able to grow if I decide to do a 107 or 110 build.

Lol on the drinking and THC. I actually have been behaving quite a bit but decided since I worked New Years Eve and was in bed by 10 I decided to have a few New Years day. If I was you I think I would just leave it alone. Sounds like your bike is running great so is it really going to be worth it for 4 or 5 maybe 6 hp and tq? Are you really going to notice it? I say ride it and if you really have to have more then go big or go home. If I do it Im going 10.5:1 in a 110 build and a hotter cam. Im wanting something in the low 120's hp tq. Dependability is the key. IF IT AINT DEPENDABLE THEN IT AINT SHIT!!!
My only complaint is after a ride I have a noticeable gas smell. Pretty certain it is the tuner. VH has sent me a couple of maps, but I still have a rich gas smell, I could probably live with it. And yeah dependability is number 1.

As I keep kicking all this motor stuff around, I come back to the idea of an S&S 124 and selling my motor before I would do any big bore stuff. By the time you buy the kit, heads worked, blah blah, the S&S is compelling

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
My only complaint is after a ride I have a noticeable gas smell. Pretty certain it is the tuner. VH has sent me a couple of maps, but I still have a rich gas smell, I could probably live with it. And yeah dependability is number 1.

As I keep kicking all this motor stuff around, I come back to the idea of an S&S 124 and selling my motor before I would do any big bore stuff. By the time you buy the kit, heads worked, blah blah, the S&S is compelling
The thought of a S&S 124 gets me wet!lol The 150 miles to each fill up does not!!! A tad rich and cool is better then lean and HOT!... How many miles before the gas light comes on?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The thought of a S&S 124 gets me wet!lol The 150 miles to each fill up does not!!! A tad rich and cool is better then lean and HOT!... How many miles before the gas light comes on?
it's not a 124, but my ST 113 gets about 125 miles out of a 4.2 gal tank.
it's not as bad as you think because you mostly cruise around at 1/4 throttle.
biggest downside: mo power, mo heat. i don't ride when it gets above 90°

·
Registered
97 Posts
I get about 40 mpg when I cruise . When I am flogging Mollie in 2nd and 3rd riding the canyons not so much. Bike runs cool buddy bought lovejugs fans, I said no need for me, my motor runs cool and 90 is goood riding weather out here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
it's not a 124, but my ST 113 gets about 125 miles out of a 4.2 gal tank.
it's not as bad as you think because you mostly cruise around at 1/4 throttle.
biggest downside: mo power, mo heat. i don't ride when it gets above 90°
I am originally from Dayton. Ohio 90 and California 90 are not the same. But y’all got lightening bugs in the summer. Miss that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
2013 fltrx 103 stock insides except for s&s 510 cams; rush true duals 4.5'' rcx slipons, s/e stage1 air breather! my indy installed and tuned[power vision] bike to a tune of 100.00 hp 111.64 tq! I am very happy with the big set of balls bike has now

1 - 20 of 35 Posts