Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Roadglide
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been reading for hours to no avail.

I just bought my 2017 2 weeks ago. I have only put about 100-150 miles on it so far and my tailbone hates me.
Also the stock seat doesnt leave much room for my wife's big butt(seriously, she is a larger woman)

I sure as hell dont want to spend almost a grand on a seat only to be disappointed.
I am 6'4" 240lbs My legs are kind cramped as it is so I was looking for a extended version(also read up on moving the floorboard forward/down)

I am not all about looks, hell, you cant even see the seat while riding it.
I am much more concerned about comfort for myself and my wife

Some good reviews about the Saddleman road sofa then some equally as bad.

As insight for a larger guy with a larger wife?

·
Super Moderator
5,545 Posts
Your Dealership will have some demo seats for you to try. Sounds like you have the RGS which is a sportier seat then the RG Limited or Ultra has. Maybe you can try the bigger seat. I’m using an aftermarket seat but as you mentioned they can get expensive.

Reactions: Bradbilt and Greg

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,311 Posts
I have the low profile (now Extended reach) Road Sofa and I love the seat, but cannot comment on the passenger comfortability as my wife isn't on there much and she is little. Russel Day Long may be an option - they are revered for their comfort and customization, though they are too large for my butt.

·
Registered
2017 Roadglide
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Your Dealership will have some demo seats for you to try. Sounds like you have the RGS which is a sportier seat then the RG Limited or Ultra has. Maybe you can try the bigger seat. I’m using an aftermarket seat but as you mentioned they can get expensive.

My dealer kind sucks. They are salty that I didnt pay $10k over MSRP for a new bike.
But maybe the parts guys will be a little more forgiving

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not owned or even sat on a Mustang Touring seat, but I looked at them very closely. They seem quite cushy and relatively wide for better weight distribution. I have a friend who had one his Special and both he and his wife loved it. I believe I've seen and heard a definite majority of riders who tried this seat really liked it.

Just keep something in mind....the variability factor. People will tell you all day long which shoes are the most comfortable ones they've ever owned....but no 2 people have identical feet, bodies and so on. I've heard many good things about certain seats I thought were terrible when I tried them. What we desperately need is a Zappo's for motorcycle seats.

·
Registered
2017 RGS
176 Posts
I have been riding on Mustang seats for 20 years now. Both me and my wife love them. Very comfortable even after riding all day. My wife is also not the smallest women around but finds the wider Mustang touring seat to be just what she needs. They also have seats that move you further back than stock so it may work well for your height.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Look into the mustang wide tripper. Its a good option on a budget. If you want to spend more money, I like Danny Gray seats. You can find used in good condition harley seats on fleabay (eBay). There are custom seat manufactures out there that can make a seat to your specs for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love my new Corbin Solo. I added a large passenger seat so it looks right on the Limited. My wife no longer rides so won't know how it rides. I had the HD Hammock on my 2010 Ultra Classic and a Mustang on my 2019 Trike, Both were upgrades from stock seats but I've kept looking so that says something. I've got a few miles on the Corbin and for me it is more comfortable than any seat I been on, Even after the other seats were well broken in. My butt likes the Corbin.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another vote for Mustang seats. I have the vintage super tour which has the stock stitching appearance to match my tour pack back rest. rider is pushed back 1.5 inches, and the passenger seat is wide as well. I tried a saddlemen road sofa , but the wife hated how hard it was even after a 1000k break in period. Also tired the HD tall boy seat, but like the stocker the foam broke down too easily, and my but burned after 120 miles. Look for used on your local Facebook marketplace if you want to find a stocker off a ultra or limited.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
A Mustang user here... 79446 and matching pillion, mines on its third bike...the super tour one piece may work for you..but regardless, pick up one or two AirHawk pads for long trips... follow the instructions, use very little air.. also, most seats take a bit of a break in period, so keep that in mind...

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
One immutable fact is this: There is only so much usable length between the fuel tank and the seat bolt on any Harley. Moving the rider back any is simply going to reduce usable passenger seat space....period. If passenger comfort is crucial (it is for my wife) then I think it's best not to crowd them down. An uncomfortable passenger is going to eventually just say no to riding. We figured that out early and I opted for extended (forward) boards, outboard spacers and extended brake pedal and shift levers. My wife still has her space and is happy back there. I have no feeling of being cramped up or uncomfortable.

Our LePera RT66 is more like a saddle than a seat to me. It's extremely firm. Some would say hard. I only recommend it to folks who are absolutely willing put up with the time and miles required to get themselves used to it. I reject the notion of this seat breaking-in. After thousands of miles it feels exactly as firm as when new, and it shows no sign of compressing or 'settling in' at all. We now love it and can do hundreds of miles a day with no problem.

I recently put our original seat on the bike just for the heck of it. I thought it felt bulky and uncomfortable immediately. My wife said "This thing feels weird. It's like sitting on sponge".

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Love my wide Mustang seat and have had them on most of my bikes. The current Mustang serves me well on my now traded 2015 Special and 2021 Limited. My wife and I are not lightweights either. The biggest comfort adjustment for her was my jump from a Special to a Limited with the 13" shocks. The Mustang moved us back some, but I am looking at also moving the Tour Pak back as well for additional space. But, I also like her boobs on my back, too. Seriously though, for comfort, look at more than just your seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As others have stated, seats are like shoes. You'll just have to try some on and likely sell some on the classifieds. Everyone can tell you what they use, but every ass is different. There's no getting around that.

·
Registered
2017 Roadglide
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok,

The guy I bought the bike from has a Mustang Vintage Super Touring Seat w/ the drivers backrest. He wants $350
Does that seem fair for a used seat? The seat is $600 new and the backrest is another $230

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
268 Posts
I have the road Sofa heated and custom stitched and like it so far. I'm 6'5" 290. Wife hasn't ridden yet, she has a larger seat that looks comfy but I have to remove rider back rest or the space is too small. I should mention mine is the extended reach version.

·
Registered
2017 RGS
176 Posts
Ok,

The guy I bought the bike from has a Mustang Vintage Super Touring Seat w/ the drivers backrest. He wants $350
Does that seem fair for a used seat? The seat is $600 new and the backrest is another $230
I put about 65,000 miles on my last Mustang seat and it was still as comfortable as the day I bought it. If the seat is in good condition, without rips, etc... I think that is a fair price.

·
Registered
2017 Roadglide
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok. I got the used Mustang Vintage Super Touring seat #79538 from the previous owner. I noticed an immediate difference, especially with the optional backrest. My wife loves the larger pillions well.
Online under the seats description it says it sits you back 1.75" but It feels like I am sitting higher. While doing 100 miles today I had to get off at about 50 miles to walk around, my a$$ was killing me and the sciatic was not much better.

At 6'4"and a 34" inseam I am thinking some forward mounting foot boards and forward controls, But I'm not sure that will fix the actual seat comfort

Has anyone compared Mustang to a road sofa?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts