·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at the rider's head in frame 18. He's focused on the Vette in every frame until impact. The cage pulled over and gave him room, but he never looked to the right where the clear path was.

It's easy for me to say in post analysis. I'm guilty of posing on the Dragon too. At least I'm looking to the right! :cool:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This would be a good learning drill for us all.....

What mistakes do you see him making other that the obvious
waving at the camera just before approaching a bend in the road..
Target fixation (as Shrug pointed out). He stared at that Vette, stood up the bike and rode directly into it. He could've kept it leaned over and ended up with just a close call. He was also likely coming into that curve a little hot, which caused him to swing wide in the first place.

I'd sure like to believe that I'd have done it differently, and I really think I would, but who knows for sure? The most important message I take away from this is that you've gotta to practice this stuff and keep it in mind, so that when you do panic, you'll do the right thing.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
This would be a good learning drill for us all.....

What mistakes do you see him making other that the obvious
waving at the camera just before approaching a bend in the road..
Look at the rider's head in frame 18. He's focused on the Vette in every frame until impact. The cage pulled over and gave him room, but he never looked to the right where the clear path was.

It's easy for me to say in post analysis. I'm guilty of posing on the Dragon too. At least I'm looking to the right! :cool:

Shrug you were already past the apex of the turn, and kept your eyes on the road.
This guy panicked as soon as he saw the cars coming ahead of him, mostly on the Vette, which was the first car he encountered. If he was looking ahead, he would have slowed down before he started to make the curve, and kept his lean angle, and probably would have made that curve.
This is one of the curviest roads in the U.S., and you need to be paying attention the entire time. Especially if you dont know the road.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Holy Hell! Thats crazy. Never been to the dragon, does someone just sit on the side and take pictures, than sell them?
yeah. Killboy is usually the company that sits on the road and takes pictures here, but there are other companies that do it as well.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Shrug you were already past the apex of the turn, and kept your eyes on the road.
This guy panicked as soon as he saw the cars coming ahead of him, mostly on the Vette, which was the first car he encountered. If he was looking ahead, he would have slowed down before he started to make the curve, and kept his lean angle, and probably would have made that curve.
This is one of the curviest roads in the U.S., and you need to be paying attention the entire time. Especially if you dont know the road.
Even if you do know the road, the road does not know you, and it don't care either.

If/when I ever get down there, I supposed I'll be one of those ones the guys behind me cuss at for going too slow.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Prime example of going where you are looking instead of looking where you want to go. He focused on the vette and hit it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Amateur. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Needles to say but he had a bad day!

Actually, his day wasn't so bad. But his crash caused a near fatality for a sportbike rider sharing the same stretch of road.

The fluids left behind on the road caused a sportbike rider to go down, and he almost died. Here are posts from the rider's son and wife........

Hey this is Jeff's son, he is in pretty bad shape, going to be in ICU for possibly 3 weeks.
Fractured skull around orbital area
Missing top 4 teeth
Lip split up to nose
Broken neck
Broken back (again)
2 collapsed lungs
Multiple ribs broken on both sides
Lacerated liver
Busted up kidney
Heaving bruising on right side

He is responsive only by movement of hands and a slight head nod. Thanks for all your thought and prayers!

(From today) Breathing on his own for the most part, ate food for the first time and drank water for the first time today. Trying to talk a little, still not out of the woods yet but it's definitely some progress!

A message from his wife, Mel

Jeff is now stable but still in critical condition. Injuries he has sustained include fractured skull at frontal lobe and orbital area, missing four front teeth with torn lip, facial reconstruction in the future, broken C1,C2,T3,L2,L3 and L4, broken ribs on both sides and collapsed lungs with lacerations to liver and kidney. Thank you for all your love, prayers, and support.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love the Dragon..I usually ride my Bike on it rather than wave at cameramen though...all I can say about that...When You ride the Dragon ..You should concentrate like every other road you ride on...except more...That accident is commonplace...usually it's a sport bike....no car...& when you ride by they are off in the woods. Hope we was not too bad off...that was rather recent...he's probably still recovering.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Even if you do know the road, the road does not know you, and it don't care either.

If/when I ever get down there, I supposed I'll be one of those ones the guys behind me cuss at for going too slow.
There is nothing wrong with riding slow through there. Sometimes even 10 mph is fast around some of those corners!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts