Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.......get my 1st Thread outta the way

I'm coming from a 2012 Vulcan Vaquero with a 14" Windshield.
Xclnt Bike, to sterile. But I can see over the windshield AND wear a
Baseball Cap Normal, Big Deal as Cataracts are creeping on:nerd:

My 2016 FLTRX arrives in about 2 weeks (Auction win, coming from Arkansa)
I am SO READY !!

For 45+ years never dreamed of a Windshield.....spoiled now.
I have been reading and reading.
A simple question, for me, is anyone recommend a windshield that allows
you to wear a Cap, beal forward ?? May not exist.

I'm looking hard at a MadStad, preowned and cheaper.
I rarely wear a Helmet here in Arizona. I tour Calif. often. NOW helmets required.
So everybodies reviews talk about buffeting etc.

Doubt I change my seat (stock) so I can't measure anything.
See thru?, see over?, Least Buffeting? Height?

.....must.....have.....APES !!!
SO,
anyone wear a Cap, beal forward, on their Road Glide ?

Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome and good luck on the hunt! This is a very person specific question. Bigger dealerships may have demo windshields to try. long ride shields work great for me, Madstad has it's following.

·
Registered
63 Posts
14" Freedom Touring Shield along with a Mustang Super Solo seat (sits you down about 1" and back almost 2") and my ball cap stays on till about 100 mph. I'm 6'1" and easily see over the windshield. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Welcome from SC! And yes, madstad works for my ball caps all the time on short local hops. Long travel gets a helmet.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Welcome I use a Long Ride Shield with no issues wearing a ball cap

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
I never understood how anyone can wear a hat with the bill forward on a motorcycle, regardless of the windshield. At 75 mph, you are going to get wind coming from all different directions. I've lost hats while they were on backwards.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Welcome and good luck on the hunt! This is a very person specific question. Bigger dealerships may have demo windshields to try. long ride shields work great for me, Madstad has it's following.
Madstad works well but cannot say the ball cap will stay on past city street limits. I do know, that I can keep a cigar lite at highway speeds

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I never understood how anyone can wear a hat with the bill forward on a motorcycle, regardless of the windshield. At 75 mph, you are going to get wind coming from all different directions. I've lost hats while they were on backwards.
You sir must of never had a Madstad wind system. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great input. Thanks for this great forum. Good news is it's obtainable.

That little bit of extra shade really makes a different !!! Ol Eyes. Hats are cheap must fit TIGHT.
The 1st 40 years riding, I never noticed it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I resisted the Madstad bandwagon for 6 years. Just go on and do it. Saves money on trying to find a helmet that doesn't rattle your glasses and buying amps and speakers trying to hear the radio. They are adjustable enough so you can drop it down and look over or raise it up and look through.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's not just the windshield to keep a hat on. I used to wear my hair longer and a ball cap would always creep off. But when I went to short hair it stays on much better. Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You need lowers to wear a cap forward. At least I do. Also those RG air deflectors help a lot. The air coming up from under the fairing is what gets you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need lowers to wear a cap forward. At least I do. Also those RG air deflectors help a lot. The air coming up from under the fairing is what gets you.
Thank You for that.
I'll keep an eye out.

My '16 Road Glide...from Arkansa......is sitting at HaulBikes "hub" in Vegas
2 more weeks to Arizona ?? !!

I WANT MY DAMN BIKE

·
Registered
450 Posts
I knew a Mastad lover would have that answer. LOL I have to try one someday.
I know a Mastad is very functional but I don't know of an uglier accessory for a bike. I've never had that much of a problem with wind to kill the lines of my bike like that. To each his own, but my 14" Freedom Sport Shield works great and I see over it. There's very little wind noise. I think the Rushmore fairing handles wind much better than the older fairings making a Mastad unnecessary. Also the lowers are awesome for wind management. I'm in a nice smooth bubble riding down the road.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
welcome to the forum. I had a 2012 green/black vaquero, it was a good bike. On my second roadglide now, love them. I think you'll be very happy with yours.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
I know a Mastad is very functional but I don't know of an uglier accessory for a bike. I've never had that much of a problem with wind to kill the lines of my bike like that. To each his own, but my 14" Freedom Sport Shield works great and I see over it. There's very little wind noise. I think the Rushmore fairing handles wind much better than the older fairings making a Mastad unnecessary. Also the lowers are awesome for wind management. I'm in a nice smooth bubble riding down the road.
Agreed. I don't care how well they work, they are fugly!

·
Registered
820 Posts
i am waiting on my 2nd freedom shield, had one on my '11 glide ultra 14" and had no problem with buffeting at all. they have a policy that you install it and don't take off the protective cover and ride it as long as nessecary if not satisfied send it back for full refund or exchange. best customer service ever. they are also thicker than anyother shield the 'sport touring' shield is made especially for high handlebars. https://freedomshields.net/product/road-glide-windshield-2015-2018/
'

Reactions: ChromeSpark

·
Registered
970 Posts
.......get my 1st Thread outta the way

I'm coming from a 2012 Vulcan Vaquero with a 14" Windshield.
Xclnt Bike, to sterile. But I can see over the windshield AND wear a
Baseball Cap Normal, Big Deal as Cataracts are creeping on:nerd:

My 2016 FLTRX arrives in about 2 weeks (Auction win, coming from Arkansa)
I am SO READY !!

For 45+ years never dreamed of a Windshield.....spoiled now.
I have been reading and reading.
A simple question, for me, is anyone recommend a windshield that allows
you to wear a Cap, beal forward ?? May not exist.

I'm looking hard at a MadStad, preowned and cheaper.
I rarely wear a Helmet here in Arizona. I tour Calif. often. NOW helmets required.
So everybodies reviews talk about buffeting etc.

Doubt I change my seat (stock) so I can't measure anything.
See thru?, see over?, Least Buffeting? Height?

.....must.....have.....APES !!!
SO,
anyone wear a Cap, beal forward, on their Road Glide ?

Suggestions?
I believe there are tall enough windshields to wear your hat, but it will not help with strong side winds. I expect you will eventually lose the cap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts