Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In my own case there wasn't going to be a roadside repair or plug to get us going. The damaged area of the tire looked very jagged, and the wound penetrated at an angle instead of straight in. It would leak air 3x faster than a mini compressor could add it. Had we been many miles from home the bike would've needed a ride and so would we.

Sealants: Ride-On Sealant used to be considered good stuff. I've avoided sealants in this bike due to TPMS and potential interference.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I have a compressor and plug kit and I never used the plug kit (knock on wood) . I use to carry a can of fix a flat on long trips.
Also carry a lot of water and a few snacks if you can because you don't know how long you have to wait for a tow truck.
I also have roadside assistance which includes towing up to 100 miles.
I always replace my tires before needing too, you never know what can happen but knowing you have good rubber under you is comforting. JMO

Mark

Reactions: Traxx and dreeves

·
Registered
2020 Limited.
470 Posts
AMA, AAA, HOG, State Farm

We have been towed 3 times and saved several others by folks with trailers. Flat, voltage reg and..

Worse one was off of Ocracoke Island. $1100 cash.. That was due to a seized ABS system and Flat rear tire combined..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Short spin yesterday. 2 miles from home ....riding through a wooded area of dappled sun & shadow ...I rounded an easy curve and hit something that felt like a tennis ball-sized jagged rock, or possibly a piece of metallic debris. The area is loaded with deer and I was scanning the roadsides ahead, but never saw the rock due to the mixed shadows. Thud..bang...whump. It was a nasty strike by both tires and jarred hell out of us. I barely gathered my wits when the BOOM screen warned me of suddenly dropping tire pressure. The Dakota Digital readout confirmed it...rear air pressure dropping steadily at +1 pound per second. I stopped the bike at 1.5 miles from home. I carry plugs and a small compressor but my gut told me this wasn't going to be the strategy today. We spent 5 minutes in discussion and I left to walk home and get the cargo trailer. This was a safe area and my wife remained with the bike. 20 min later I was back with the truck and trailer. We loaded up and headed on home.

I lifted the bike back at the house, to find the rim was in good shape but the rear tire with a fatal damaging wound. Looked like a compound jagged puncture in the center of the tire. I knew it was a goner, so tried plugging it just to see if it would hold. Not a chance. So now I have to locate a tire and have it changed this week....hopefully.

Jarring reality hit me in the gut. What if this had happened 150 miles from home on a Sunday at 5 pm? What if it happened where no cell service was available? Who would we contact and how would we get the bike moved? How would we get home? It really bugs me to think we've been riding on pure luck for years...no solid plan to deal with such an occurrence. Any breakdown of any vehicle can do this of course, but it's different on a bike. I have to get this figured out...a solid plan of action we can depend on if it happens again far from home.

I'm really curious how you would (or did) deal with this? Are you trusting your luck every ride?
Been there, done that, it’s a PIA! Number one, keep good tires on the bike, less likely to have a problem. I once had to replace a tire with 250 miles on it, so it does not always help! I have several different tire plugs, which may work for a limited time, until the wire in the tire saws it apart. I keep slime with me also. I have several compressed air cylinders, and also carry an air compressor. I figure a partially fixed leak with the ability to stay aired up may get me home. All the above is a stop gap to get me to a permanent fix, which is a new tire. And I never go anywhere without my tools.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,663 Posts
H.O.G. membership will pick it up and get you to the nearest dealer. I believe there may be hotel coverage. You would have to read up on it. Luckily I never needed this benefit.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
H.O.G. membership will pick it up and get you to the nearest dealer. I believe there may be hotel coverage. You would have to read up on it. Luckily I never needed this benefit.
not on the standard hog package. that coverage comes on the ultra or ultra plus package, $29.95 or $49.95. the towing max is $100. over that, and it comes out of your pocket.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,663 Posts
not on the standard hog package. that coverage comes on the ultra or ultra plus package, $29.95 or $49.95. the towing max is $100. over that, and it comes out of your pocket.
I went life member years ago, never had to use it. I would think in conjunction with your insurance coverage, should lessen the pain.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You did a good job handling that situation. You can't have a back-up for everything that might happen. I'm surprised the older guys haven't "chimed in". Back in the day someone always broke down.
I pulled out from a traffic light on the Shovelhead and it died on a main st. in Easton, Pa. The positive wire - battery to fuse block had shorted and burned up. I needed a piece of wire. As I was eyeing a pick-up license plate light wire that was hanging a little low... A Shovelhead angel stopped and pointed out a dollar store behind me.
Extension cord, 2 rolls of electrical tape and a bag of wire ties = $3.00

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Has anyone used a tubeless tire sealant like Slime or Geen Goo? Thoughts?
Story on sealant as an only option. Sidecar tire Tube wheel Had a project in Milwaukee and decided to ride To the way to motel for the night sidecar tire goes Flat. The tube was shredded. No one was open at that time of night in that part of Milwaukee. Gas station had 5 cans of of the foaming type compressed tire fix a flat... Lifted sidecar a bit and use curb to keep tire off the ground and started first can. The stuff was leaking from every spoke. Put second can in. Leaks slowing down.

Couple miles to motel and better part of town I roll. Get there while not full tire is holding some air. Get up in the morning ready too call one of the crew to come get me. I see tire is not fully flat .Put third can in it is nearly full . Hit the road.
During the day I call around no one has a tube. Except of course a place 60 miles away right near home. Finish the project and tire is low. Put 4th can in and roll towards home. I had called daughter , she picked up the tube and had it at my house.
Put last can in half way home and rolled into the house.
Sometime you do what you have to do.

Some after I converted the sidecar to tube less.

·
Super Moderator
11,747 Posts
I would definitely use Ride-On Sealant if I could be 95% sure of no problem with tpms.
@StoneTrekker This is directly from Ride-On Kevin.
I have been using Ride-On in My Tires for quite a while but My Glide is a '12 with FOBO TPMS, so no issues.
The question is, are Harley TPMS hermetically sealed?
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Well the good thing for many others here: At least the SiriusXM would work. And that's all that's needed. lol

I don't think this scenario is much far off from a breakdown (not a flat) with a car. But good thing for you - At least you have a trailer.

Being a bit of an over-planner (what if this, what if that....), I have considered getting a satellite phone. I would already have one if I lived out in the sticks...... but definitely will put more serious thought into it if I do an extended road trip.

Best wishes
I had worse coverage 28 miles north of Boston, and near 3 interstates than I do in the boonies of TN where I live.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
My plan is to walk away from the bike if I can't quickly get it going again. If someone wants a broke down bike that bad, more power to them. If it is there when I get back with help, ill deal with it. All part of the adventure.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
@StoneTrekker In your scenario you were close to home. You stated get farther from home and it could get worse. I've thought about these things, especially when 100+ miles from no where. Every tow you out plan I've looked at would hep when you're in the boondocks. Every plan I've seen is good for something less than 50 miles (as low as 15). I'm not sure if there is a way to plan for a 'can't ride it to repair' that would actually work for the boondocks.

Reactions: Traxx

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@StoneTrekker This is directly from Ride-On Kevin.
I have been using Ride-On in My Tires for quite a while but My Glide is a '12 with FOBO TPMS, so no issues.
The question is, are Harley TPMS hermetically sealed?
Hope this helps.
Mike U.
Thanks much Mike. Yes...I have looked at the details on Ride-On's website pages. I'm admittedly being cautious about deciding, as it would be costly to have to dismount a tire(s) and clean them up plus the tpms if there was a problem. I'm going to keep checking into this, as I have 3 bottles of Ride-On in my shop.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@StoneTrekker In your scenario you were close to home. You stated get farther from home and it could get worse. I've thought about these things, especially when 100+ miles from no where. Every tow you out plan I've looked at would hep when you're in the boondocks. Every plan I've seen is good for something less than 50 miles (as low as 15). I'm not sure if there is a way to plan for a 'can't ride it to repair' that would actually work for the boondocks.
I agree completely. I've got motorcycle/RV roadside coverage from AAA which is probably as good as it gets in all honesty. I also added roadside assistance ($8) and trip interruption ($8) to my insurance policy. I don't think it will be a huge problem to get a tow if needed. If a tow is needed I hope the driver doesn't mind having 2 people jump in for a ride.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Uugggh reading this made me shake my head. I swear, sometimes my life gets complicated and I’m not trying to make it so. It’s these damn bikes. And the heat. The damn heat.

2 weeks ago, break down. Front injector issues. That only got interesting BECAUSE of AAA. But that’s another story. I wound up sitting in Benton CA at the gas station working on the bike waiting for AAA to show up. Sketch reception and 100 degrees out.

2 legit meth heads roll up, don’t see me but see my GF across the street trying to get better reception. They start harassing her and try and get her into their truck. What they DONT see is me walking over with my Glock already pissed I’m broke down. Saying nasty shit to my woman is just icing on the anger cake. I figured a couple rounds into their empty bed would send a clear message.

So now I’m waiting on AAA AND the sheriffs department. Neither show up.

It was a long weekend. Thank God for Uhaul.

Still shaking my head.

In addition to AAA, I highly recommend Legal Shield. For $39 a month you have a lawyer on retainer. You’re welcome.

• Wow
Reactions: Traxx and Bevis

·
Super Moderator
11,747 Posts
Thanks much Mike. Yes...I have looked at the details on Ride-On's website pages. I'm admittedly being cautious about deciding, as it would be costly to have to dismount a tire(s) and clean them up plus the tpms if there was a problem. I'm going to keep checking into this, as I have 3 bottles of Ride-On in my shop.
You're welcome Kev!
I sure hope the OEM TPMS are sealed so You can use the Ride-On.
Mike U.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts