Road Glide banner

Your Riding Experience In Washington D.C.?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  08Zinc 
#1 ·
I'm particularly interested in motorcycle parking in and around the Smithsonian area. I've never been there and would like to hear what you have experienced.
I always park within sight of the building I'm going into. At shopping centers I park in striped zones (not in fire zones) or on the sidewalk near the front door. This has never been a problem. As long as the bike isn't in the way. I consider parking up front one of the advantages of riding a motorcycle.
I'm thinking parking is at a premium and strictly enforced in Washington D.C.???? Has anyone used Metrorail during their visit? I don't like leaving the bike in a parking lot or garage. Have you experienced any security issues? Any heads up is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You are correct in that parking is a premium in Washington DC. Especially around the mall area and all the museums. The roads are in horrible condition, the traffic is obscenely congested at certain times of the day. I would strongly suggest using the Metro system. It would make your visit that much more relaxed, even though you have to leave the scoot in a lot or garage.

Cheers

#4 ·
Park in DC like you like to park and your bike will get ticketed, possibly impounded, and definitely screwed with by passerby. In other words, don't even think about doing that. There are some parking places, but if you're there on a weekend, forget it. On top of that, we have the worst traffic in the country (voted #1 4 or 5 years running), the roads are abysmal, the pedestrian traffic is both oblivious and thinks they're more important than you, and there are cops, speed cameras, and red-light cameras everywhere.

Ride into the District so you can check it off your map. Leave the bike at a Metro station if you plan on sightseeing.

And unless you live in Manhattan or Los Angeles, no....No, you're not used to heavy traffic like this.

#5 ·
DC Sucks! If you want to ride into DC, then pay to park in a lot or garage. Otherwise, as others have said, take the Metro into the city from either MD or VA suburb. I used to commute by bike to an office on Pennsylvania Ave near Capitol Hill. Would never have done that if my company didn't pay for a parking space at my building. Never had a problem with my bike in the garage or in a parking lot in DC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.