Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced my Zumo665 with the 590 due to H-D advertisement to see the screen in direct sunlight. Although the graphics are awesome, the GPS features are great and YES, I can see the screen in direct sunlight, there is NO SIRIUS RADIO! The 590 will stream music from your phone via Pandora or other services but the Sirius ability is gone. Additionally, the 665 has a nifty zipper case to store your head unit in when you park in public and want to lock it away in your saddlebag. The 590 has no carrying/storage case. These cheap bastards cant even give you a $5 storage case with the unit. So now I start doing the research I should have done before I bought and installed this POS. Garmiin's version has the option of integrating optional wireless tire pressure sensors so you can see your tire pressure right on your GPS screen and if there is a sudden drop in pressure it will alert you. With the H-D version, no such luck. I did get 15% off from the dealership and of course that savings ++ was eaten up by having them install the unit which I later found was installed improperly and I had to return to have them fix it. What ever happened to the days when H-D prided themselves on giving great customer service so you would come back tomorrow? Now they are only worried about how much money they can get from you today and then they immediately forget who you are.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 590 does allow you to monitor the tire pressure but you have to purchase the transmitters. They run around $75.00 each. The good part is that you saved that much by purchasing the Road Teck (Harley) version over the Garmin version. It also has live weather radar which uses your phones app so you don't have to pay the XM radio people for it. Lots of other neat things which you will find.

I think you will come to like the 590 once you get used to all the things it can do and the screen is larger which helps with old folks like me.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
You can use Siriusxm by getting the Siriusxm all access package which gives you internet satellite radio, then you can use the bluetooth connection from your smartphone to any bluetooth device.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Has anyone steamed music via Bluetooth to a head unit like a Aquatics or Jensen, with the Zumo 590LM using the built in MP3 player? If so do the hand controls select songs? And is the quality good?

I tried steaming Bluetooth with my 660, and it was terrible. The music would stutter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm traveling in the rockies and I dont have sell signal and of course no internet, how will I receive the Sirius signal through me phone. Excuse my ignorance please.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the 590 but I don't see an option for the tire pressure monitor on the screen. Is is an app I download once I install the sensors on the valve stems? I leave in two weeks for Yellowstone and having a tire pressure monitor sure seems like a real good idea.

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is all funny to me. I thought a GPS was for traveling and getting directions as to where you wanted to go. In other words maps....Go figure. Next the GPS will have a/c and a refrigerator. who-da-thunk-it! ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was seriously looking at this model. My current 660 (no Sirius since I have that integrated on the bike) has seen many miles and the screen was starting to get scratched.

Almost pulled the trigger on the 590 ... then realized that my 660 did everything I needed. The bonus was that I found new 660's with all the attachments online for only $350! Almost 1/2 original pricing!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was seriously looking at this model. My current 660 (no Sirius since I have that integrated on the bike) has seen many miles and the screen was starting to get scratched.

Almost pulled the trigger on the 590 ... then realized that my 660 did everything I needed. The bonus was that I found new 660's with all the attachments online for only $350! Almost 1/2 original pricing!
I have the ZUMO 665 for sale if anybody is interested. Comes with the Sirius radio, Sirius puck antenna and all the wiring necessary to install and all the instruction manuals and paperwork. Also has the fabric sunshade that attaches by velcro to help see it in sunlight. Originally sold for around $600, will let it go for $300 including shipping OBO.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

if the only problem you have is the scratched screen, you can buy replacements for about $40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgm3ix3N_c

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got the Road tech 590 when it first came out and it does not have the TPMS with the HD version. When I found that out Garmin did give me the opportunity for a refund (my feeling price which had a 15% discount) so I could buy the non HD version but couldn't find a discount anywhere and I am using FOBO anyway which I love so I kept it.
I will say its absolutely the best GPS unit I have ever used. The "curvy roads" option is awesome! I have found roads in places I have ridden in for years that I never knew existed. Also has a great search feature while riding (used yesterday while plotting traffic) which is super easy to use and very intuitive when you spell just a few letters of whatever you are looking for.
As with all new things there is a learning curve (I still don't have the traffic part figured out very well) but for me it is night and day difference from the 665 I had before I got it. To be fair though I replaced my head unit a couple of years ago and didn't use the 665 for Sirius.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts