Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Decating to get more sound is a waste of time. Pulled to many CAT to go for that. Maybe a very slight change in tone but so hard to notice. Same with the flow of exhaust unless you have an bit of a build in the engine cam ect the CAT flows pretty free. Most of any effect of taking CAT out pretty much is just fooling your self. What to make the bike sound good put a good cam in it. That changes everything.
I have done quite a few myself, but never paired removal with a high flow A/C and a tune. Biggest reason for removal was heat, negligible difference in sound.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, Grand Nationals are 4" and GNX are 4.5"(just released).
Thanks for that. That's what I thought. S&S shows a dyno chart for the GNX, but not the Grand Nationals. The chart for GNX actually shows some loss of torque (from stock) between 2-3K.
I'm thinking maybe the Grand Nationals being 4" vs 4.5" for the GNX may help by providing more back pressure, but I don't know...

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
13 Posts
Jackpot Hi Rollers.

Reactions: V-man

·
Registered
20 Posts
Decating to get more sound is a waste of time. Pulled to many CAT to go for that. Maybe a very slight change in tone but so hard to notice. Same with the flow of exhaust unless you have an bit of a build in the engine cam ect the CAT flows pretty free. Most of any effect of taking CAT out pretty much is just fooling your self. What to make the bike sound good put a good cam in it. That changes everything.
Just sharing my experience and results. In the original post, he said he wasn’t really trying to make his bike much louder. The cat removal does change the sound a bit and there’s a slight difference in throttle response. I believe many people convince themselves after putting loud open exhaust that cost $500+ dollars and up that they have increased performance based on noise and $ spent. If all you want is noise, by all means, have it your way. Just not always the only way.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i liked the torque of the stock pipes and after a few thousand miles the sound wasn't too bad.
i've run the jackpot outlaw slip-ons for about 20K miles. they were a great improvement over stock, mostly midrange.
after the outlaws opened up a bit i took the baffle out of the left side pipe for more sound. lost bottom end, so i put it back in.

keep in mind that it will take a few miles for your ecu to adjust to the changes you make.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just sharing my experience and results. In the original post, he said he wasn’t really trying to make his bike much louder. The cat removal does change the sound a bit and there’s a slight difference in throttle response. I believe many people convince themselves after putting loud open exhaust that cost $500+ dollars and up that they have increased performance based on noise and $ spent. If all you want is noise, by all means, have it your way. Just not always the only way.
I appreciate the input. I would actually like to try running the bike like that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Jackpot Hi Rollers.
Couple of questions on the High Rollers, if U don't mind:
The website says: "include easily tunable/removal inserts to tailor sound & performance". How do You tune the inserts? Cut 'em or?
Do U run Yours with the baffle in or?
It also says: " features our latest V3 "dyno tuned" baffle which includes easily removable stainless steel inserts"... Inserts go in the baffle? Do they give U different sizes or?

·
Registered
48 Posts
S&S Grand Nationals w/decibel reducer in.
Agreed. This is a 5th gear pull on my 117", and a 6th gear pull on a 128". My pull has the decibel reducers in and it's a little louder and deeper than stock. Not sure if the 128" had them in or not, but the torque curve is beautiful.

I'm not a fan of any of the oversize slip-ons such as High Outputs, CFR, etc. They make the bike feel sluggish.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks for that. That's what I thought. S&S shows a dyno chart for the GNX, but not the Grand Nationals. The chart for GNX actually shows some loss of torque (from stock) between 2-3K.
I'm thinking maybe the Grand Nationals being 4" vs 4.5" for the GNX may help by providing more back pressure, but I don't know...
I went with Grand Nationals because of better back pressure, with the db reducer leaving an option. Seems like the 4.5" slip-on's flow too freely for the M8 without an add-on insert. The 4.5" like the MK45 have a deeper rumble but it comes with a price, torque loss.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Called S&S today, they recommended the Grand Nationals over the GNX for the M8, but no Dyno chart published for the 114 M8 with just GN slip-ons :( I would like to see one...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are there any out there? I really don't need the bike to be too much louder than stock. I like the way it runs now and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance.
If you are keeping the cat...just about any slip on will be ok. Go for looks and sound. If removing the cat now you need to consider other things. M8s seem to perform ok with slipons and the cat in place. Im not sure what you are looking to for. Cats run hot but also add some needed back pressure for torque. Its still going to perform close to stock regardless of your selection as long as that cat is in the way.. Personally I've always run full systems and modified every motor I've owned. Just my personal experience and opinion. I run Rinehart 4inch racing with FM inserts and jackpot headers, but I'm also running a 124 kit soooo yea. 😬

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are there any out there? I really don't need the bike to be too much louder than stock. I like the way it runs now and I fidon't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance.
Have you considered HD SE Street Cannons. I run a full SE High Flow exhaust on a 2019 Special. Cats are in the mufflers. I hated it at first. Now after 9.5K miles, not only have I gotten used to them they sound pretty good to me. Deep at idle, sound of a bit when you crack it and mellow when cruising. That said the slip on Street Cannons do not have the cat, it's in the head pipe. Also running auto-tune. I may consider a torque cam, but don't really need it.... just a want. Bike has plenty of power for my riding style.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If you are keeping the cat...just about any slip on will be ok. Go for looks and sound.
I appreciate any and all input and don't want to be critical of anybody's opinion... but this is just about the exact opposite of what pretty much anyone else has told me. But, then again if I knew, I wouldn't be here asking!:LOL:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Have you considered HD SE Street Cannons. I run a full SE High Flow exhaust on a 2019 Special. Cats are in the mufflers. I hated it at first. Now after 9.5K miles, not only have I gotten used to them they sound pretty good to me. Deep at idle, sound of a bit when you crack it and mellow when cruising. That said the slip on Street Cannons do not have the cat, it's in the head pipe. Also running auto-tune. I may consider a torque cam, but don't really need it.... just a want. Bike has plenty of power for my riding style.
I have thought about their slip-ons and lusted after the full system, but they sure are expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I currently have the V&H Eliminator 400s but just ordered some Torquer 450s. Hoping to get a deeper sound.

They're on sale for $519 (from $649) for the black ones at MoziacRacing.com.

The S&S GNX you guys mentioned are on sale for $408 (black) and $458 (chrome).

21 - 40 of 64 Posts