Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife as passenger, and I have owned an ridden several Honda Gold Wing motorcycles with the last being a GL1500. I tuned that thing and removed the exhaust baffles with straight turndowns and it was fat but top heavy. We went across the country 3 times covering 31 states on that ride then we sold it to take 7 years of infertility treatments to have kids who have moved on. In 2004 I bought my first Harley, a Heritage Softail that was nice, but not a touring bike, so in 2013 after my wife survived her first battle with breast cancer, we bought our current ride, a 2013 Red Road Glide Ultra we named Gossamer. We were starting to ride when my wife's breast cancer cam back in 2016 and it damn near killed her 4 times but she got through it. Our Gossamer was used, but not much over the last few years. Now things have improved and I actually got enough cash saved to get her 5k service yesterday. We took her out today for a ride for Mother's Day and had a great time. So with saddle time in both while Harley is more alive and the Gold Wing more technically perfect we still prefer the Harley. The Gold Wings we had were great, 3 of them, but we have Gossamer. My wife looks forward to every ride on it, she is happy and while it is a somewhat less technical bike, she and I feel more comfortable riding it.

Oh, as a side note when my wife came in the dealer service door when we were picking up the bike she asked how are we paying for it. Before I could stop myself I stated "well I was going to give them your left breast but that is gone so I guess my ATM card" and my wonderful wife started laughing. The service writer was busting a gut as another customer in there turned red and did not know what to say or do. That was just fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To be fair to the goldwing the early model the gl1100 and gl1200 all the way to 2008 they where made in usa that being said that can't be anymore america i have rode and road glide they are great bike i own 86 goldwing. I am proud to ride it cause i know it was built in america

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
To be fair to the goldwing the early model the gl1100 and gl1200 all the way to 2008 they where made in usa that being said that can't be anymore america i have rode and road glide they are great bike i own 86 goldwing. I am proud to ride it cause i know it was built in america
Your Wing look like this?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Yes even at 35 years old it still runs like a watch, but that is a type of character or soul. Granted it does not hold a candle to the RGU I have, but for many years it took us on many adventures/tours and I wouldn't want to give those up for anything. Now we're adding more of the same, on I think one of the best touring rigs around, today! HD just didn't sway me back in '86.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,138 Posts
First off tell salesman to sell the goldwing not discount the Harley with his rumors.

Secondly while it wasn't a Honda Goldwing I had a very nice BMW. Fun to ride and great engineering. Bike had NO SOUL. Because I had Harley Davidson in the past this was noticed. Back on Harley Davidson and enjoying the comradery and have sold the BMW.

Third I have yet to see a Honda or any bike with a free lifetime warranty or no repair shop. And yes it is a great mindset that while on the road I can find a dealership very easily for tire repairs etc. The nearest BMW shop to me is 2.5 hours away.
Right on ask about financing and it’s 9%! you want to see what real depreciation looks like buy one.I like the culture I have been lucky to find good dealers.I tell each GM ” the guy that gets the sale gets the service.” I have been treated fairly, always do winter storage.Climate control free pick up and delivery.I remember once asking a Yamana dealer about winter storage.” Sorry we’re not HarleyDavidson.” He was right We’re on our4th RoadGlide.
Great bikes Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you have to bash a competitors product, your own stuff isn't that attractive.
My first motorcycle was a 1974 Honda CB 750 Four, some consider the original Harley killer.
HD went to Congress to tariff Japanese imports 750 cc and above, so there's legal precedent for the opinion.
I was stationed in Norfolk VA on USS Carl Vinson. With a few days leave or a holiday weekend with no duty, I'd ride 620 miles to Ohio to visit my family. That bike got 55 mpg at a time when a guy couldn't afford much gas. I remember "drafting" several times behind semi trucks on US 60 - that's getting cheap with your life.
(I made < 1000 a month minus taxes at the time)
So the Honda always had a slice of family with it and I have a very old soft spot for the brand.
I bought it with 10,000 miles and put another 35,000 miles on it - and the bike cost me $750 and the price of a chain, about $25.

As an older man, I can afford Harleys and I've owned some sweet ones. But none of those ever treated me that good for that little.

·
Read Only
2,975 Posts
If you have to bash a competitors product, your own stuff isn't that attractive.
My first motorcycle was a 1974 Honda CB 750 Four, some consider the original Harley killer.
HD went to Congress to tariff Japanese imports 750 cc and above, so there's legal precedent for the opinion.
I was stationed in Norfolk VA on USS Carl Vinson. With a few days leave or a holiday weekend with no duty, I'd ride 620 miles to Ohio to visit my family. That bike got 55 mpg at a time when a guy couldn't afford much gas. I remember "drafting" several times behind semi trucks on US 60 - that's getting cheap with your life.
(I made < 1000 a month minus taxes at the time)
So the Honda always had a slice of family with it and I have a very old soft spot for the brand.
I bought it with 10,000 miles and put another 35,000 miles on it - and the bike cost me $750 and the price of a chain, about $25.

As an older man, I can afford Harleys and I've owned some sweet ones. But none of those ever treated me that good for that little.
An uncle I only met once rode his bike to our place, and he had like some chopper or whatever, but I remember his story of drafting behind semi's, had to be late 70's...he said you had to be aware of them hitting their brakes as they probably didn't even know you were back there as if that matters...said he got a bump in mileage. I just thought, "how cool!" Being like 13 or 14 at the time. I avoid semi's like the plague when I ride.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
2,101 Posts
I avoid semi's like the plague when I ride.
As you should. I was riding a few weeks ago on a 4lane highway. Coming up on a semi I waited for the left lane to be clear of any vehicle beside the semi so I can hit the throttle and get by as fast as possible, like I always do in whichever vehicle I am driving. Soon as I have a clear path I get on the throttle, I am just clear of the rear wheels when I hear a noise like a shotgun going off beside me. After pulling my head up from ducking for cover I look in the mirror and sure enough the trailer tire blew about a second after I got past. And that is just one of the many dangers of riding close to semis.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,138 Posts
An uncle I only met once rode his bike to our place, and he had like some chopper or whatever, but I remember his story of drafting behind semi's, had to be late 70's...he said you had to be aware of them hitting their brakes as they probably didn't even know you were back there as if that matters...said he got a bump in mileage. I just thought, "how cool!" Being like 13 or 14 at the time. I avoid semi's like the plague when I ride.
Yea and all we had were 4 speed

·
Registered
2020 RGL, 18 KTM 1090R, 02 XR400, 77 CT trail 70
6 Posts
Whenever I am on a bike with cruise control it is active as soon as I get up to speed. I've enjoyed cruise control on my touring bikes since my '01 Voyager XII. I traded off my Concours 1400 for the Triumph Trophy SE because of the addition of cruise control.

Of course I do the same thing in my trucks and cars. Cruise control on as soon as possible

I see using cruise control as one less thing to distract me from keeping my eyes on the road. I don't have to look at my speed.

I also enjoy cruise control while riding "the pace" through the curves. It forces me to lean the bike over more instead of bleeding off speed. Of course this only works if the bike can lean over further so you have to know what speed you can navigate the curves. ;-)
About to trade in my Trophy SE for a RGL. I sold my 05 wing which i loved for something sportier like the triumph but the wife hates it and i will lose my license with it. My ktm adventure also ticks enough boxes to be a sport tourer so im back to looking at full touring bikes. I rode a new K1600GTL, godamn fighter jet! Had terrible pillion ergos though. Rode a new GW, didnt like it compared to my gl1800. Ergos changed a lot and felt numb with road feel. Rode a new heritage classic which would be the harley i would get but then rode the RGL after and the trade off in weight and performance was surprisingly not that bad. Ive talked a lot of shit about harley in my life but they have come a long way and those modern feats of engineering feel like tupperware when youre not pushing the limit. I cant believe the fit and finish these bikes (mostly BMW) lack for 30k! Also i am somewhat younger and dont mind the weight riding 2 up but the COG on the harley at slow speeds for me was the best by far. I had never ridden a full harley tourer much before but getting on the RGL instantly felt like home and i impressed the sales guy with some tight maneuvers in the lot after riding it for 10 minutes. The triumph is an amazing sport machine for 600lbs and the older GW used to impress people in the twisties but to have something that feels quality and for 2 up riding i think i found a decent longterm bike. Hopefully the dealer works a deal with me. Looking at a 21 RGL in midnight crimson. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks to the OP for the thread.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
About to trade in my Trophy SE for a RGL. I sold my 05 wing which i loved for something sportier like the triumph but the wife hates it and i will lose my license with it. My ktm adventure also ticks enough boxes to be a sport tourer so im back to looking at full touring bikes. I rode a new K1600GTL, godamn fighter jet! Had terrible pillion ergos though. Rode a new GW, didnt like it compared to my gl1800. Ergos changed a lot and felt numb with road feel. Rode a new heritage classic which would be the harley i would get but then rode the RGL after and the trade off in weight and performance was surprisingly not that bad. Ive talked a lot of shit about harley in my life but they have come a long way and those modern feats of engineering feel like tupperware when youre not pushing the limit. I cant believe the fit and finish these bikes (mostly BMW) lack for 30k! Also i am somewhat younger and dont mind the weight riding 2 up but the COG on the harley at slow speeds for me was the best by far. I had never ridden a full harley tourer much before but getting on the RGL instantly felt like home and i impressed the sales guy with some tight maneuvers in the lot after riding it for 10 minutes. The triumph is an amazing sport machine for 600lbs and the older GW used to impress people in the twisties but to have something that feels quality and for 2 up riding i think i found a decent longterm bike. Hopefully the dealer works a deal with me. Looking at a 21 RGL in midnight crimson. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks to the OP for the thread.
Almost welcome to the fold. You will find that many of us have more than 1 brand of motorcycle, but love our Harleys. For many of us on this forum, it is love of motorcycles, not a brand. I seriously thought about the 2022 BMW K1600 Grand America, but opted to stick with the Road Glides and traded a 2015 Special on a 2021 Limited. Love it. There are plenty of options to make it somewhat sporty for a 930 lb beast if you feel the need. Just make sure your wife likes it as well. My wife is much happier with the stock Limited than she was with the modified Special I had.

·
Registered
2020 RGL, 18 KTM 1090R, 02 XR400, 77 CT trail 70
6 Posts
That was quick. Congrats on the new ride and great deal.
They were trying to make a deal before the holiday, and i kept telling them i didnt like the color :). They let me take it out unsupervised for a few hours! When i got back they had a deal better than what i was shooting for. Foothills BMW and Triumph here in denver area had a reputation for being very Beemerish i guess you could say. They're working to change that and i can say the experience was pleasurable. The sales guy came with me in my car and we both rode my trades back to the dealer (17 trophy, 08 Sportster 1200). its clear they need inventory. I was able to ride my new bike home,They were better than the HD dealers by me by far

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Took the wife on it last night and we both felt better on it first time than after years on the gl1800
My wife and I did an extended test ride on a 2010 Honda Goldwing and just didn't gel with it. Went with the 2010 Vulcan Voyager instead. The local Harley dealer had a very bad reputation at the them so I didn't even consider Harley.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts